My Blog List

Sep 25, 2020

It Was A Dream To Read This Nightmare (Nightmare House book review)

Nightmare House by Douglas Clegg

If my fiancé hadn’t come home from work, I would have finished this book in one sitting. It is a very quick read. I was ¾ of the way through and already recommending it to my friends. Finally, a book about a haunted house that I enjoyed!

This book is what it means for a haunted house to be its own character and have its own personality. The house was built to be a puzzle, a maze, with occult practices in mind during its creation. Looking into the book as a series, “the Harrow series consists of several books set in or around the haunted estate in the Hudson Valley. Each Harrow story can be read out-of-order because the main continuing character is the dark mansion itself or those people who have or will touch it,” (Amazon). This is so accurate and makes me want to request the rest of the series from the library. In fact, I normally buy the books I like best from each of my terms and this one just might make the cut.

Point-of-view can make or break a book. This story was told from two different perspectives, thought technically the same character: Esteban/Ethan Gravesend as a young man first entering Harrow House and him as an old man looking back on his childhood and manhood. The duality furthered the story’s depth. There was a lot of duality and binaries. The perspective of Ethan, the personalities of Matilda, the morals of Pocket. All of them had good and bad sides, but one always outweighed the other in the end.

Now, if you asked me what the beginning of this book was about, I wouldn’t remember much to say except character introductions up until the tower. But that is fine with me because I was never bored. I enjoyed meeting all the interesting personalities and learning about Ethan’s grandfather until we hit the wonderful twist of family secrets literally hidden in the woodwork. And my goodness, the twist of Matilda being buried alive and then hidden in the walls of the house. I was screaming in the best way possible when finding her body came to light. The twist about her being Ethan’s mother was also fabulous.

This book has perfect examples of good twists in horror throughout it. Nobody is who they seem.  The whole books works really well to keep you unsure of what is morally right. That was something I really appreciated about it, especially in a ghost story which can so often push for the ghost as malicious.

My only complaint with the book really was the end with Maggie. Ethan can’t save her, and despite not knowing her very well, he is convinced they were meant to be together. Therefore, he takes care of Alf and lets him basically take over control of Harrow. This was not a great ending for me, but I did like that Ethan refused to go into the house again.

Overall: I would read this book again and recommend it to friends.

5 comments:

  1. Maddy,

    Outside of the house, this book felt like just another book to me. I don't know that I would recommend it other than to study how well of a character and setting Harrow works as.

    My issue with the ending is Esteban is just waiting around in his father's cabin for Maggie to come back for him. He saved her soul. She won't be lingering around Harrow. That bugged me. I didn't mind that Alfred took over and turned it into a school. I think the ending really set Harrow as a character because of the "restricted" and blocked-off areas that Alf and Esteban agreed upon.

    I more than likely will not continue the series and read it out. It works fine as a stand-alone, and the pace is smooth. I don't find interest in carrying on to see what happens. I like it at this end for me.

    -Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the ending with Maggie's soul. Honestly, I didn't really care much for Maggie and her whole plotline after the garden scene.

      I think the reason I enjoyed this book more than you is because the other books so far in this course were a struggle for me to get through while this one finally was a pleasant breeze.

      Delete
  2. Maddie, I wish I could say I enjoyed the book as much as you did. For me, it was so muddied that it didn't work. I was a Jack-in-the-box, popping out of the narrative to scratch my head and wonder things like, "so was the grandfather evil? Or just someone who loved his daughter?" and, "how did that work exactly, with Ethan jumping through the mirror into the other side of the house?"

    I wish the story of Matilde's upbringing had been more immersive, instead of given as a story told over a cigar by Pocket. I would have enjoyed an entire novel about Matilde. I think the backstory about her was too brief. Likewise, when Ethan realized she was evil--that realization happened in one sentence. To me, it lacked credibility.

    I agree that Harrow has the potential to be a great character. Again, I want to know more. I had trouble envisioning the hidden areas where Matilde lived. Also, this was told second-hand. Maybe I needed more time IN that section of the house to get the true feel of it. I needed to be shown, not told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that uncertainty was the point of this book. I don't think the grandfather or Matilda were evil. I think if there is anything to take from the book, it was explained in Pocket's story about moral ambiguity. Nobody is inherently good or bad. Matilda we are sympathetic for her being treated poorly and having her child taken away, but she still possessed Ethan with evil intent. Same goes for the grandfather.

      Delete
  3. Maddy - Sounds like you and I are on Team Nightmare House. I also enjoyed how smooth and easy it was to read and I absolutely loved all the moral ambiguity. That moment where they find the desiccated corpse and all the scatching on the wall ... mwahahahahahaha! Apparently I'm the only one who liked Maggie, but I have a blindspot for unwed mothers struggling to raise their children by hook or by crook (since that also describes my own childhood). As for Ethan/Esteban falling in love so quickly and waiting for her in his father's cottage for the rest of his years, I fully understand your objections. And I don't exactly disagree. However, I found it to be a quaint nod to the old Victorian gothic stories where perfect love and soul-mate bonding could be found in a single meeting.

    ReplyDelete