My Blog List

Oct 16, 2020

A Grave Way To Begin (Grave's End book review)

 


Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado

Despite being a short book, reading Grave’s End by Elaine Mercado felt like it lasted forever. I was hoping we’d get to action ¼ of the way through the book, or get to a climax by ½ way through (I read an e-book version and didn’t look at my progress very often). But every time I saw the chapter number was a disappointment. Not because the book was horrible, but because the book was boring.

The plot is a lot of the mom (and kids) being haunted by the paranormal, the mom repeating she wants to leave and is scared, her husband invalidating her, and then they cycle through those events again. She never leaves, just complains. She goes through phases of believing and doubting herself. I know this book is supposed to be based on a true story, so it makes sense that the plot is slow and long like it would be in real life. The author is the main character we follow, so it’s written like a autobiography. It makes sense she doesn’t leave her house because most people can’t just up and leave, especially with family. It follows the pattern of mental illness and questioning in how her mind is a broken record. But it was just so slow for a novel.

Then I finally hit the halfway point in the book. This is when everything changed from a story retelling to a novel. Finally we get a moving plot. Before the Halloween scene, the plot felt like it was stagnant, not moving forward. After her boss, lover, brother, and brother girlfriend validate her, the intensity of the ghosts pick up and with it so does the plot. We get increased ghost activity and the addiction of the ghost hunter and medium. There is finally a sense that everything is no longer a flat wishy-washy line of recurrence, that now there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This is when I started enjoying the story and reading it like a fiend. Before then, it was nice seeing a realistic interpretation of a ghost story told from both the kids as believers, the mom as questioning, and the dad in denial. But after the halfway point I finally felt like I could read the rest of the book in one sitting. But it says something if 80% of the way into thr book the official medium still isn't here.

The moving action makes the rest of this better. But, if I were to compare Grave’s End to other books I’ve read from earlier classes, it would not stand up. This book gets better the farther in you get, but as a whole it is not as entertaining for me as a book about Russian myths. Maybe ghost stories and haunting aren’t for me. This is certainly much better than ghosts sexually assaulting ladies, but that isn’t hard to accomplish. I suppose I’m just finding out that I enjoy books that move externally rather than analyze internally for the majority of the pages.

Overall: Could be worse, but could definitely be better.

6 comments:

  1. Maddy,

    The story itself isn't meant to burn like an entire fiction story. It's intended to reflect an actual haunting. Most hauntings you read in fiction or watch are drastically dramatized for entertainment. A lot of real hauntings work, as you said, like life. It's a slow burn building up, and the reality of what the big moment is more than likely doesn't match your expectations from fiction ghost stories.

    Ghosts and hauntings aren't for everyone! You have a right to that, and I'm glad you brought it up. A lot of people I know only like supernatural/paranormal horror because it "scares" them. Not saying this is your take, but I wanted to note that. I like the idea of another life or dimension beyond this. That's why this is one of my favorite subgenres to read. OH, and demons. I love demons. I'm not a fan of fantasy. It's a genre that holds books I don't feel interested in when reading. (Outside of LOTR.) Everyone has what they enjoy. Embrace that maybe this isn't for you, but it does seem you already have. I don't want you to feel like you have to force yourself to like something for the sake of anything. :)

    I went in to read this story as a real account, so I didn't go in expecting that pizzaz we saw in Hell House. I expected a real, slow-burning, ghost account. I think this is why we have two different opinions on the beginning portion of the novel.

    -Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, going into this, I assumed it was going to be another 'based on a true story, but not actually', so I think that dramatically changed how I viewed the book as I read. Despite that, the emotions in the book were very realistic and evoked a lot of empathy from me.

      Do you know any good books (fiction or nonfiction) on demons or demonology? I'm very interested in the topic but not sure where to start.

      Delete
  2. Hi Maddy, I could relate to what you thought was tedious repetition in the first half of the book. I still enjoyed it a great deal, though, even as Mercado recounted yet *another* night of being pushed into her mattress. Since I knew the story was true, I wasn't expecting new and different fireworks every night and I was comfortable with the slow escalation of paranormal events that the family endured.

    You mentioned that this wasn't as bad as the creepy ghosts-assaulting-ladies fiction that we've read. But I found the way the ghosts stroked Ms. Mercado's legs really quite creepy. As Mercado herself pointed out, even more disturbing was the way ghost hunter Hans laughed off the behavior. Just boys being boys! The ghost lying crushed in the basement just wanted to have some fun, he pointed out "helpfully", as though that would ever have been enough of an explanation.

    Glad to see by reading this book you have come to a deeper understanding of the types of stories you prefer. Books with a lot of narration of inner emotional states are not everyone's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, for sure the ghost stroking her leg was very uncomfortable for me. Anything sexual and non-consensual makes me very unhappy. But it was less than the other book in quantity and intensity when described, so it was slightly (only slightly) more tolerable. But I wholeheartedly agree that I wanted to punch the man when he laughed off the ghost doing that. Playful intentions or not, that ghost was horrible to her.

      Delete
  3. Maddy - I get it. I understand why you were bored. I really, really do. And yet I loved the book. But this is an important lesson for every author to learn. (Excuse me while I step up on my soapbox.) No book will appeal to all readers. (Here endeth the lesson.)

    Let's be honest. You read this book because it was assigned in a class reading list. You didn't stumble across it accidentally and think, this is a book I have to read! I understand and agree with WHY it was included in our list. It is the counterpoint to Amityville Horror, just like Hell House (which I hated) is the counterpoint to The Haunting of Hill House (which I loved).

    This book further demonstrates my personal theory of paranormal fiction vs. paranormal non-fiction. If it reads like a novel, it's probably not true (or, at least, highly embellished). If it's true, it won't meet the criteria of a good novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that we are getting book parallels in this class.

      I think it's good to acknowledge that a book can't appeal to everyone.

      Delete