My Blog List

Aug 29, 2019

Why Not To Read A Book's Beginning: A Review of "I Am Legend"


If I hadn’t been assigned I Am Legend by Richard Matheson for school, I would have given it a few pages chance, but after that, I would have put it down and never picked it back up. This book being an assignment is the only reason I finished it.

If the book should had started at part 1 chapter 5, I would have been able to continue reading it with ease. If it had started at part 2 chapter 12, I would have eagerly eaten up every page. However, it started at part 1 chapter 1, and after every chapter I had to put the book down and do something to keep myself from falling asleep.

Don’t get me wrong, I know exactly why the author did what he did. The vampire women tempting Neville played on the stereotype of vampires being seductive. The monotonous repetition of the days, and the women, the whiskey, the cigarettes, the books, all of them are meant to make the reader feel the repetition and exhaustion that Neville felt on a daily basis.

But also, those are the parts that I loathed while reading this book. The sexual desperation didn’t make sense to me when he could easily take care of his arousal himself. It may just be me, but I wouldn’t be thinking about sex that much when it had only initially been 5 months alone, and he had recently had his wife and daughter die. Dead wife would kind of kill the mood, wouldn’t it? Yet, over and over, the women, the women, the women. The books states, “They’d forced celibacy on him,” (19) and yet later in the book when there is a woman present, he concludes that sex, “doesn’t matter anymore,” (130). This could be seen as character progression, but to me it’s too contradictory to be believable. I found it impossible to deal with a desperate and misogynistic, lustful man for another page. He talks about how if Ruth had come earlier, “he might have violated her,” (136). Not a character I sympathize with or am interested in.

Speaking of the women, the repetition in the first and second parts merely forced me to take breaks between chapters because it was so hard to keep reading. In the first 9 pages of the story, he mentions cigarettes 4 times, and whiskey just as much. The book was a struggle to trudge through until around chapter 13, when the dog introduced and subsequently dies, and the plot begins to actually take off. Once I reached that point, I finished the book easily in one sitting, and enjoyed doing so.

I may be of the less popular opinion, but I found the ending satisfying. Neville going being shown as a mass murderer of a new mutated race and becoming the new legend himself I found a wonderful twist. This is one reason I liked the alternate ending to the movie I Am Legend, because it showed that the humans were the real monsters for treating the vampires so poorly. However, my ideal plot for this tale would be taking the movie beginning where we get attached to Neville’s family and dog, but pair it with the book ending, because the movie ending where he dies as a war hero didn’t do it for me.

In the end, I cared about two characters in this whole book. The dog and Ben Cortman. I was upset by both of their deaths. That’s what I look for in a book, the ability to evoke emotion from me, no matter which emotion that is. Neville and Ruth and the vampires didn’t do that to me.
If I were to recommend this book to my sister, who loves science fiction and medical jargon, I would tell her not to start at the beginning.

9 comments:

  1. Maddy,

    I agree with you. Neville's clear misogyny was very difficult to get through. I also found the sex contradiction ridiculous. He openly admitted had she come earlier he would have raped her? I get honesty, but sympathy for his miserable life after that being said? Nope. I'm glad he was doomed to horrible, boring repetition.

    I had no sympathy for him therefore the ending did not satisfy me either. I mean, if you think about it, he got the death penalty for his crimes against them. Cool concept, but poor idea to make the reader try to see him as a legend of any sort. In some sense, the suicide pills weren't satisfying either. I wanted him to suffer and be miserable until the very end.

    I wanted more with Ben Cortman and Robert's relationship. Hell, I wanted more Ben. He had great potential to be a major conflict and was simply not capitalized on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted more with Ben too. He was one of the few named characters when trudging through the first part of the book, and I feel like if he had been played on more then the beginning could have been salvaged with more details of their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really articulated the issues I had with all his ranting about sex. What was this guy like before the shit hit the fan with the vampires? There are so many things anyone in that situation would lament not having. Why would you make the character fixate on one? And like Alexis pointed out, if it was such a big deal, he could have handled some of that on his own.

    Neville had a daughter. Wouldnt missing just watching her grow up be just as bad? Never getting to walk her down the aisle? Didnt he have hobbies before the vampires that he no longer gets to do? No more Thursday night bowling league. No more Sunday football. No more KFC 5 Dollar fill-ups. It would be such an overwhelming loss of quality of life. I cant understand being fixated on one thing like that.

    In the movie, I loved how Will Smith would go into a store and had manikins set up like people shopping. And he'd pretend one of them was checking him out. Then he'd talk to the cashier manikin about it, like they were all real. Human interaction in general. It doesn't have to be narrowed down to sex. It shouldn't have been narrowed down to anything. Life at that point has lost so much.

    And then to say that he might have violated Ruth had they met earlier, I guess Matheson was just trying to get the reader to not like the guy because he knew he was going to kill him at the end of the book. Surprise... the protagonist is the antagonist! I don't know. It was a head-scratching move to put that in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you bring up how in the movie they gave that same sense of isolation and craving for human interaction in a much more satisfying (at least to me) way. When Will Smith got angry over the one mannequin being moved, I really felt the insanity and struggle that came with being the only human left. When Neville had that same struggle in the book, I didn't feel that.

      Delete
  6. See, now I like that you say..."He talks about how if Ruth had come earlier, “he might have violated her,” (136). Not a character I sympathize with or am interested in" because I think that it is really this moment where the reader can see this guy is pretty disgusting in the head at this point in his life. I remember reading this part and trying to think if this was supposed to be conceived as a heinous act or if it was just some obscure common lingo from his time, but either way it was totally off-putting. It's where I first noticed he really was a terrible person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maddy –
    I couldn't agree with you more about the beginning of the book completely ruining it. Between Neville's violent outbursts and endddlessss sexual fantasies, he struck me as a textbook abusive misogynist. Maybe people in the 50's had lower standards for their men but wow, I found it completely impossible to root for him as a character. I wish the book had started with any sort of positive relationship between Neville and another living being (his wife, the dog, a houseplant) so that I could see him in something resembling a positive light, but no, it's just him and his whisky and his cigarettes.
    I thought it was interesting that you felt attached to Ben Cortman as a character. I don't know how much he really registered with me as I was reading, but now that I'm looking back I definitely think he had some really interesting potential that I wish had been better fleshed out. Also, side note, Matheson needed to ask a Jewish person some questions before he wrote that scene with Neville putting a Torah in Ben's face. "Tablet of law, I believe it is." BRUH. Try 50 lb. parchment scroll. Tablet? Not since 3000 BC, I can promise you that. Oy.
    – Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can imagine now is Neville holding up a book the size of War and Peace and struggling to not drop it.

      I would have loved to see Neville interact with a house plant. In the movies he interacted with mannequins, and I could see a very good interaction with him and a plant or a painting or something, kind of in parallel with something like Wilson from Castaway.

      Delete