My Blog List

Sep 6, 2019

The Funeral by Matheson: Is is Worth Your Time?


As far as short stories go, The Funeral by Richard Matheson is a quick 5 page read. It is very funny, and a quirky new take on funerals for the undead. However, I feel like the idea behind the story was much better in theory than when executed on the page.

From the very beginning, I found it hard for me to get drawn into the tale because of the language choices slowing my reading down. The word choice seemed a little superfluous. This could key in to the main character’s personality or social class, but for me it was a bit distracting. Within just the first two paragraphs, Matheson used the words “obsequies”, “placid clasp”, “sable leather”, and “curt acknowledgment”. One sentence that stood out to me and made me reread it was this bit of dialog: “Ah, good evening, sir,” he dulceted, his smile a precise compendium of sympathy and welcome, his voice a calculated drip of obeisance. I was always taught that unless it is necessary, always use ‘(s)he said’ so as not to distract the reader. I, for one, was very distracted by the language.

However, I still found this story a cute and silly read. I loved the twist of the funeral being for vampire Ludwig Asper himself. I also adore the hilarious entourage of supernatural beings that attended the funeral. The paragraph describing the monsters was the best part of the whole story.
This short story ties perfectly to the craft book my class is reading called Writers Workshop of Horror. We just read the chapter ‘Adding Humor to your Horror’ and this story is a perfect example of a tale that I feel isn’t actually horror, despite it’s inclusion of a lot of monsters. The humor leads more than the horror, and even though Silkline was scared of the monsters, I wasn’t. I feel this text falls more into the realm of fantasy rather than horror.

Silkline didn't feel like the protagonist of this story to me. He wasn't sympathetic in the beginning, being more a greedy salesman than someone for you to cry on and tell about your dead family. Then, during the funeral itself, he felt too passive, only reacting to the things he saw or what was said to him. He felt more like a camera to look through and less a character to relate to.

The beginning and end of this text I enjoyed. However, I felt the actual funeral part of the story was a little muddled. It became a mess of people talking over one another, between the witch, the waxen-faced man, the man giving the speech, and Ludwig himself. I know this was meant to be written this way, to emphasize the chaos that was happening during the funeral and make it feel jumbled, but it read confusing to me instead. I read ahead in Writers Workshop of Horror to the chapter ‘Middles: the Meat of the Matter’, and because of the funeral scene being a mess, I feel this story wasn’t able to fulfill the role of the middle of a story setting up the climax and satisfying the reader like a main course. It did set up the end scene of another monster coming in for a funeral well, but it didn’t leave me feeling closure for Asper’s funeral.

Overall, my take on The Funeral is it is a quirky read that I would recommend to people. Despite it’s flaws, it is a short enough read to be worth spending a few minutes getting through, and it is a good example of how to show up and coming writers how to incorporate humor into their writing.

4 comments:

  1. I love your point that the humor makes the story more like fantasy than horror. When we were posting on the discussion board about humor in horror, I kept thinking that a lot of my favorite humorous books are ones I would probably classify as fantasy rather than horror, even if they include "monsters." I wonder if monster horror could be considered almost just a scary subgenre of fantasy, which would make non-scary monster horror just plain fantasy!
    – Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you brought up the vocabulary. I forgot about that. This story had me consulting the dictionary a few times, and that did take me out of it a bit. Stephen King, in On Writing, talks a bit about a writer's "tool box," and tells the reader (who he assumes is a writer) not to get too caught up in vocabulary. He recommends reading a lot, which will undoubtedly improve vocabulary, but outside of that, he cautions to focus on using words in your writing that you're comfortable with. I agree with him. I think ten-dollar words detract from a story, and this one had several.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddy!
    I agree that the florid language Matheson used in this one was a bit of a head-scratcher. It definitely pushed me back from the action. I think back to some period Twilight Zone episodes (Matheson wrote for that show) and I recall that there ws a lot of use of florid language in the more comedic episodes so that may have been a stylistic thing back in the day when it came to lampooning class and culture. Alexis pointed out that there was a morality play element embedded in the story but I missed it due toe the "cute and silly" vibe that you pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree about the story kind of falling flat. I actually went to look up where this short was first published to see how it got through, but in my desire to have instant answers I lost interest in finding the answer and just read a little bit about other famous Matheson works. I didn't know he wrote "What Dreams May Come" which is one of my favorite films.

    I don't know what I would publish the story under in terms of category, and I agree that the main character does not really fulfill the role of a main character. He is an unlikable character, and it is hard to read into a book or story with an unlikable character, so we rely on the interest we have in the monster. Because I typically side with the monsters and villains, I thought this story was easy to keep reading because of my curiosity of whether I had predicted the ending correctly or not. Otherwise the events and descriptions were not particularly intriguing or engaging. It definitely works to be in the middle of a collection of short stories by one author, but I don't think it is really publishable otherwise, unless it is in a collection of Halloween comedies.

    ReplyDelete