My Blog List

Nov 12, 2019

Lieutenant Ford Tries to Get Home ft. Godzilla (Godzilla 2014 movie review)



This may come as a surprise to people, but this is the first time I’ve ever watched a Godzilla movie. In fact, it’s the first time I’ve watched a kaiju movie in general. My takeaway was my dad offering to watch some of the older movies with me, and I agreed.


Godzilla (2014) was a great movie. Not a great movie about Godzilla, but a great movie otherwise. I forgot it was a Godzilla movie until we hit half way through, because he doesn’t even show up until 1 hour into the 2 hour movie. The plot doesn’t feel much about the monsters. It’s more about the main character, Lieutenant Ford Brody, and his journey to reach his family. My dad compared the ‘get home at all costs’ plot to the movie The Day After Tomorrow (book: The Coming Global Super Storm by Art Bell). I think that’s a fitting choice. Braving what nature throws at you in hopes to be reunited with your family before it’s too late. In this case, nature is the parasitic titans called MUTOs (Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms). Even though the one mysterious hatched egg at the start hooked me in, I forgot about the monsters pretty quickly and would have believed you if you told me it was a war movie about nuclear bombs or something.



And speaking of MUTOs! Not knowing anything about Godzilla, I initially thought they were supposed to be Mothra. I was wrong. MUTOs ≠ Mothra. I think they were supposed to be like butterflies because the program at the start was called monarch, but they looked more like beetles to me. I found some design art and sketches of the MUTOs online, and I’m glad I did, because I had very little idea what those things properly looked like. While I appreciated the attempt at ambiance and dramatic lighting, it made it so couldn’t see anything in this movie.




As far as characters go, I was upset that Joe died. He was my favorite character. I wanted to see how he would’ve interacted with the crazy main scientist who flew all the way out to see Godzilla fight in person. Instead, we get Lieutenant Ford, who the whole time talked about how his job was disarming bombs, and not once in movie actually disarms a bomb. I also felt like his family was useless, only there to give him a reason to go back home. There was very little development of his wife outside of her worrying about him. Godzilla wasn’t in the movie enough for me to care much about him much either.

Not having kaiju knowledge, I went into the movie genuinely thinking Godzilla was the bad guy who destroyed towns. However, he ended up being the hero. My dad confirmed that was the case in the other movies too. That was pleasantly surprising. I understood him fighting harder to defeat the female because she was a threat, and required fire breath to eventually kill. But why did Godzilla play with his food, when he could just murder the male MUTO with one sweep of his tail? I’m sure this was like any movie though, drawing out a fight to make it dramatic. I was cheering by the end when Godzilla wasn’t dead after the fight. Despite his lack of screen time, I really did leave liking Godzilla.

5 comments:

  1. The Day After Tomorrow was a great movie for its time. Joe was my favorite in the film. I may or may not have teared up. I cannot disclose such information at this time.
    I went in rather blind as well. I have not seen a Godzilla film since the early '00's. I do remember the monster was a female in those. However, this one made it appear as of it were male. I got confused. The MUTO's were cool but I really only wanted to see the giant lizard all the time, if I am honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, too much screen time for the MUTOs vs giant lizard given that the movie is called Godzilla.

      Delete
  2. Godzilla is usually the hero in his movies. The one exception I can remember (and my memory is fuzzy!) is King Kong vs Godzilla. I remember being disappointed in that movie because I was a Godzilla fan, and it appeared to me in that movie that he was the bad monster that had to be stopped. It didn't match up with the character of Godzilla as I understood him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, I love the title of your post—and I think you're absolutely right that this movie was far more about Ford trying to get home than it was about Godzilla. Godzilla just seemed to be the main conflict/obstacle keeping him from getting back rather than a protagonist in his own right (even though he does ultimately save the day). Actually, I just had a thought—because Godzilla solves the MUTO problem without much involvement from the humans, Ford doesn't actually have to develop as a character to overcome the obstacle. Maybe that's part of why it's so unsatisfying and feels like the humans could have been involved in a different movie from the monsters—ultimately the humans don't have to learn a single thing in order to win. Thinking about GMC, that means that they can achieve their goals and overcome the external conflict without ever having to think about their internal conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. I also don't care about Ford as much as I did for Joe, and that might partly be because I like the actor. We also got to see how he lost pretty much everything trying to warn and save people. Whereas Ford just wants to get home and happens to be in the right places at the right time with the right knowledge. I do think his career choice was fitting though. It just became incredibly predictable as soon as the plan to bomb the creatures was created.

      Delete