My Blog List

Nov 8, 2019

Snow Way Out Of Here (Snow review)


Snow by Ronald Malfi

Finally another book from class to purchase and put on my shelves. This is definitely in my top three of best books we’ve read this term.

Despite the setting of the book being Christmas and the overarching theme of snow, this doesn’t feel like a holiday book to me. It doesn’t even really feel like a horror book. It reads as more of a thriller in my mind. Yes, there’s graphic details of intestines on the ground and people being torn apart, but I feel like the majority of this book more put me on the edge of my seat with the ominous hands on windows and faceless kids rather than giving me nightmares. That being said however, anyone else concerned going to Pennsylvania in winter because of all the snow?

The snow particle preying mantis creatures were amazing. I loved the traversal aspect of them. They could disappear into the ground, move mounds of snow, be storms in the sky, or even flecks of ice sneaking in through a vent or an open window. These creatures would be great monsters to fight in video games. I like that the creatures were left vague too. We don’t know much about the storms and clouds, or whether these things are aliens or something paranormal. The unknown is a known fear of humanity, and it really works well in this book.

That being said, the head hopping perspective was not the easiest to pick up on immediately because I listened to the story as an audiobook. Maybe it was more obvious in the text version, I don’t know. However, following the different characters separately really did work for me anyway. I loved seeing the different point of views and the deaths. It was definitely written with a movie camera POV vibe to it. This would be a beautiful movie, especially with all the snow special effects or animation. Normally, I say that in a negative way, as if the book isn’t great and would be better as a movie. I think they could be equal in this situation. The book did an amazing job of describing every little thing to us, from the monsters light orb souls, to their gruesome deaths and puppeting of skin suits.

Excluding the awkward dialog at the bar in the beginning, I felt like every bit of this book was taken advantage of, and even the bar scene was necessary to introduce the characters. Speaking of the characters, this is one of the few books where I actually cared about them. When Shawna died, I was legitimately sad. I was genuinely happy to see Kate and Todd survive. Despite having a ton of characters and head hopping, I remembered people, and I was interested to hear their individual stories. Much like some of the others, I found the story good enough that I’m interested to know if anyone has read other Malfi, and if any of them are good?

Overall, I’ll never look at snow the same way again. Thank goodness I live somewhere where every season is rain.

5 comments:

  1. I was telling my coworker about the book and her response was "Sounds like Ohio." I told her it was around there, if not, in Ohio, but I went back and checked and they're in a town in Iowa. Still, she said the reason she is happy to be away from Ohio is because the snow tries to kill you.
    I had trouble with the consistency of the monster and how it materialized, moved, became charred on the ground as a solid form, and could turn into flurries. It just didn't seem developed at all. It turned out more like "oh this would be cool to do in this scene." If it needs a host, it shouldn't be swirling around in the air or underground. Why does it eat flesh? Why does it inhabit a warm fleshy body when it wants to be frozen? Why does it rest the body in a house with other bodies? It's too random and relying too much on the reader's suspension of disbelief. I still really enjoyed reading it, but I had to drop my curiosity of the monster and just read to enjoy the action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the monster, Vince—while I was glad he didn't try to overexplain the reasons for it, it was hard to follow sometimes when it changed seemingly from scene to scene. The question of why they would occupy a fleshy body when they want to be frozen and can't get too hot is a great one—especially since they already seem to have solid bodies when they burn? Why not just go somewhere nice and warm with no snow so that they can be their giant, manta ray selves? Why go through the trouble of disassembling into snow and then reassembling into people to also eat people when they could probably eat people pretty well in their non-snow forms? I totally agree with your assessment that it felt like he was changing the monster to be able to write cool scenes rather than keeping any strict internal consistency.

      Delete
  2. I love snow. That's why I live in Pennsylvania. This book hasn't changed that one bit. :)

    I think my new litmus test for whether or not a liked the characters is if I can simply remember their names. I definitely liked these characters. They had dimension, and I remember their names. I actually liked Eddie. He was the first real clue that something was amiss, and he was super creepy. I think that initial reader exposure to the monster has to be done really well, or the book sets itself back a lot. He had me on edge, with his story about looking for his daughter, to the several-days abandoned car, to acting kinda like he was amped up on drugs or something. He set a great tone. And then when he found his daughter in the woods, and she had no face, and he had those impossibly long strides running through the woods to get her... yeah, it set things up very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found that initial bar dialogue to be terribly awkward! And I agree as well that Snow would be better as a movie—I had a similar thought when reading. It almost struck me as reading like a screenplay, especially the way the scenes cut from actions happening in different places within the same chapter. We got a single paragraph from Brandon's perspective in the entire book which felt weird in a novel context, but would be perfectly normal in a movie. Those faceless children would scare the sh*t out of me onscreen—honestly, I think they're almost a better monster than the snow itself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, you seriously have the best blog titles.

    ReplyDelete